The ASB Christchurch Marathon will be held on Queen’s Birthday weekend, Sunday 3 June.
Avoid unnecessary travel across the city on Queen’s Birthday Weekend Sunday 3 June.
The public will not be allowed to cross the route during the event. only emergency services and buses will be permitted.
Top travel tips:
- Avoid unnecessary car travel across the central city (add hours) - let's keep the streets safe for our runners
- Travel around the central city using the wider network in the east and west (map below) (add map below)
- Bus services will continue but will be delayed
- Expect delays on key routes around the central city and route in the eastern suburbs
- Avoid delays and plan ahead
Businesses and the central city are open as usual.
- Walk and cycle if possible to, from and within the central city
- Park in an easy to get to area, and walk to and from your destination
- You will be able to walk across the marathon route
- Access to the city centre from Moorhouse Ave will be maintained
Change what you do this day or expect significant delays if you try to cross the marathon route.
To get around the Marathon course and avoid unnecessary delays use either:
- Deans Ave to Moorhouse Ave
- Anzac Dr to Pages Rd
- New Brighton Rd will be one-way eastbound. Use Travis Rd to QEII Dr
Roads affected by the route will be reopened in two stages. The roads around Durham St and Montreal St will be reopened by 10 am. All other roads will be reopened by 2 pm except for the roads around Cathedral Sq, these will be reopened by 5 pm.
Key road closures in the CBD that will be in place by 5 am and removed by 10 am:
- Armagh St - Park Tce to Montreal St
- Colombo St - Bealey Ave to Kilmore St
- Durham St North - Bealey Ave to Armagh St
- Kilmore St - Park Tce to Colombo St
- Madras St - Peterborough St to Aberdeen St
- Manchester St - Aberdeen St to Peterborough St
- Montreal St - Armagh to Salisbury St
- Park Tce - Bealey Ave to Armagh St
- Peterborough St - All
- Rolleston Ave - Park Tce to Gloucester St
- Salisbury St - Park Tce to Madras St
- Victoria St - Salisbury St to Kilmore St
The key roads noted below will reopen by 2 pm except for the roads leading to Cathedral Square, which is the race finish, and will reopen by 5 pm.
- Armagh St - Durham St North to Madras St
- Barbadoes St - Bealey Ave to Armagh St
- Cambridge Tce - Churchill St to Colombo St
- Fitzgerald Ave - Bealey Ave to Armagh St
- Kilmore St - Fitzgerald Ave to Colombo St
- Madras St - Armagh St to Peterborough St
- Salisbury St - Madras St to Barbadoes St
- Avonside Dr - Fitzgerald Ave to Ngarimu St
- McBratneys Rd - Banks Ave to Locksley Ave
- Avondale Rd - Breezes Rd to New Brighton Rd
- Breezes Rd - Avondale Rd to Pembroke St
For a full version of the Map click here.