State Highway 1, south of Kaikoura, between Ferniehurst and Peketa is open daily.
- Each day State Highway 1 between Peketa and Goose Bay will be open from 7:30 am to 7:30pm and closed overnight.
- The closure has moved to the SH1/Leader Road intersection through to Peketa. People living within this area will be allowed access from the south side but there will be no through traffic to Kaikōura outside the open hours. This closure point will be reviewed once work has been completed on areas of highway which have given way on the Hundalees, north of the Leader Road.
- Road users are advised allow a minimum of 5.5 hours to travel between Christchurch and Picton on State Highway 1. There are multiple roadwork sites, speed restrictions and sections of road that will be under Stop/Go operation
- When State Highway 1 north of Kaikoura is closed motorists travelling from Christchurch to Picton are advised to use the alternate route between Blenheim and Waipara via SH7, SH65, SH6, SH63. This route is open 24/7 and takes about 6.5 hours to travel.
- The Inland Route 70 into Kaikoura via Waiau/Mt Lyford will remain open during any closures of SH1 to the south. It also has a number of work sites in place. Road-users are advised to allow up to 3 hours from Christchurch to Kaikoura using this route.
For up to date SH1 route information visit the p2c page here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/p2c
For a larger version of the Estimated Journey Times click here
For a larger version of the Infoguide click here.