Bus priority lanes are being installed on Main North Rd, between Winston Ave to Sawyers Arms Rd, Papanui
A bus priority lane is being added to the northbound section of Main North Road from Winston Avenue to Sawyers Arms
Road. The hours of operation of the southbound bus lane will also be extended.
This will improve the reliability and travel times of public transport along Main North Rd.
This work will include new kerbs, footpaths, new traffic lights at Grassmere Street, new traffic islands and some storm water drainage works.
This project is expected to start early January 2020 and is expected to be completed by late July 2020.
The hours of operation will be as follows:
- Monday: Friday: 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 7:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Night works will be between the hours of 6:00 pm to 7:00 am
- Access to Northlands Mall will be maintained at all times during the project.
There will be five main work areas:
- Winston Avenue: 13 January 2020 - 2 February 2020, kerb alterations and footpath work - day works.
- West end of Northlands Mall frontage: 13 January 2020 - 15 March 2020, installing new storm water pipes and kerb and channel (gutter), renewing a section of the footpath and the road - day works.
- Halliwell Avenue and Northlands Mall Countdown entrance: 25 February 2020 - 29 March 2020, alterations to existing kerbs and footpaths - night works.
- Langdons Road and Mary Street intersection: 18 February 2020 – 22 February 2020, trenching for new traffic lights and footpath works - night works.
- Grassmere Street: 1 April 2020 – 30 April 2020, widening the road, installing new kerb and channel (gutter), footpath works
and traffic signals - mostly night works.
Main North Rd will have two lane traffic maintained at all times during the project.
There is more information here on the Christchurch City Council website.