State Highway 1, south of Kaikoura, between Ferniehurst and Peketa is open 24/7.
- Road users are advised allow a minimum of 5.5 hours to travel between Christchurch and Picton on State Highway 1. There are multiple roadwork sites, speed restrictions and sections of road that will be under Stop/Go operation
- When State Highway 1 north of Kaikoura is closed motorists travelling from Christchurch to Picton are advised to use the alternate route between Blenheim and Waipara via SH7, SH65, SH6, SH63. This route is open 24/7 and takes about 6.5 hours to travel.
- The Inland Route 70 into Kaikoura via Waiau/Mt Lyford will remain open during any closures of SH1 to the south. It also has a number of work sites in place. Road-users are advised to allow up to 3 hours from Christchurch to Kaikoura using this route.
- Road users plan ahead for their journeys.
- Please note the road may close at short notice due to weather conditions.
For up to date SH1 route information visit the p2c page here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/p2c